NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GOSSIP SITE. THIS IS JUST A BLOG THAT SHARES THINGS WITH PEOPLE THAT THEY MAY ENJOY OR FIND INTERESTING!:)

Friday, February 12, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Theif Movie Review

DC Dude here with my review of the Percy Jackson movie!
I read the book a couple of weeks ago before I went to go see the movie and I really liked it! It was inventive, fresh, funny, and full of action. I was really excited to see the movie because it seemed like the book was written for a movie.
If you've read this far, I have to warn you that I might put some spoilers in, so watch out. The movie and the book were pretty different. But a good different, like the Inkheart movie, which I think made the book look good. The way the book is set up, each chapter is like a mini adventure, all coming together in the end. The movie makers (amazing Director Chris Columbus of Harry Potter and Christmas with the Kranks) changed that up and made it a lot better. The book focuses a lot on Percy (even though it is his book series) where the movie puts that on the others like Annabeth, Grover, Chiron, and Percy's Mom. This was able to develop them more and let people see them differently than in the book.
One of my favorite parts in the book is with Medusa. The scene in the book is really intense and it all moves very fast. Medusa in the movie was played by the very talented Uma Thurman. She was really creepy and super cool at the same time. I don't think I've ever seen a better Medusa in a movie. When Percy and the gang go to Hell in the book, it's in a recording studio. In the movie its behind the Hollywood sign, but I think the movie version is a lot better. After reading Dante's Inferno in high school, I got this picture of what Hell may look like. Hell in the movie was almost a mirror of that, but so cool! I loved Hades and Persephone. It was cool to see Persephone in the movie and have her be a key character instead of just Hades.
Overall, a really fun movie. They didn't entirely set it up for the next one, but you know there will be =)

No comments:

Post a Comment